[Prev][Next][Index]

Sat-UK #172 16.12.97: INTELSAT 605 - SIRIUS 2 INFO

Sat-UK Report #172:
- Intelsat 605 now at 27.5° west
- Sirius 2 reception reports
tuesday 16th december 1997
Email: dsedghi@TELE-Satellite.com OR dominic@bigrp.demon.co.uk
Sat-UK Web: http://www.sat-net.com/sat-uk/
UK Satellite Control: http://www.sat-net.com/uk-satellite/
And now the news:

---------- Intelsat 605 now at 27.5° west

Intelsat 605 has replaced Intelsat 803 at 27.5° west as part of the
chaos caused by Intelsat 603's telemetry problems. Intelsat 803 will now
procede to replace Intelsat 515 at 21.5° west, which is due to be
repositioned in an inclined orbit at 29.5° west.

---------- Sirius 2 reception reports

And now back to Sirius 2, which in my area has become a lot stronger
again. I can now lock onto the Sci-Fi Channel again, and Kanal 5 is
watchable. TV 8's sound has returned to normal. I am still yet to find
any signs of life on the other two beams. I'm slightly anxious for the
central beams - I seem to be able to pick up Télécom 2C very well at 3°
east! Here are some more reception reports:

Central Scotland, 1.2m dish, echostar 7700
Low strength in the morning, sparklies at night
("Gordon")

Suffolk, 80cm dish, 0.7dB LNB, Pace MSS 508IP
Good signal with no sparklies on the main channels
(Tony Balaam)

Edinburgh, 90cm dish, 0.7dB LNB
Kanal 5 has a few sparklies; TV 8 & Sci-Fi sparklie-free
(Alastair Nimmo)

Liège (Belgium), 1.2m dish, Monterey 40
Very clean signal, no sparklies, perfect sound
(Andre Corteil)

Grimsby, 1m dish, Pace MSS 508P
Reception of analogue channels excellent
(John Patrick)

South Buckinghamshire, 90cm gregorian dish, 0.7dB LNB, Pace MSS 508IP,
Nokia 9600S
TV 8, Kanal 5 & Sci-Fi clear picture; SVT very strong
(Trevor Tucker)

Plymouth, 1m dish
SVT Europa very strong; no signal from Kanal 5
(Robin Clark)

East Kent, 60cm dish, 0.7dB LNB, Pace MSS100, Nokia 9600S
SVT Europa is crystal clear; TV 8 (MPEG) unavailable; TV 8 (PAL) lots of
sparklies & just about watchable, Kanal 5 slightly worse
(Gerald Tripp)

All contents (C) 1997 Dominic Sedghi, except where indicated. All rights
reserved. The above may not be reproduced without written consent.
Information is subject to change and/or may be incorrect.