[Prev][Next][Index]

SAT-Usenet 07/98

SAT-Usenet
07/98
get the best from Satellite-TV Newsgroups via eMail!

This service is sponsored by
TELE-satellite
INTERNATIONAL
http://www.tele-satellite.com

Editor for TSi:
Marc Ruenger
eMail: MRuenger@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/mruenger/sat-tv.htm

ALL MATERIAL PROVIDED HERE IS FOR PERSONAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND MAY NOT BE
USED FOR ANY COMERCIAL REASONS, WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION FROM THE EDITOR.

- NEWS ON SKY DIGITAL

Howard Pitfield wrote:

> Text pages and all reveal that June is start date for Sky digital.
> www.teletext.co.uk says
> that Astra 2A launches in April or May, but SES have a spare in orbit in
> case of delays. That must mean 1D?

Yup. They're gonna move 1D over to 28.2e and use 1E/1F/1G to backup up
the lost frequencies. it will be returned to 19.2e when 2A is up.  Dom.

--
Dominic Sedghi, Sat-UK
dominic@bigrp.demon.co.uk

- WHAT IS IRDETO AND CAM, ANYWAY?

CAM stands for Conditional Access Module.  Irdeto used to use its own
descrambler in an PCMCIA module.  As of d-box concerns, although d-box
(or, more precisely, Kirch) does use Irdeto technology, I don't know
whether Kirch/d-box and Irdeto CAM are identical (can someone make a
statement about this ?)  Regardless, even they are identical, I doubt
you can just use d-box and card to receive non-Kirch services.

Levin

On Fri, 30 Jan 1998 14:15:26 +0000, shamen
<shamen@npccomms.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <886154997snz@dsl.co.uk>, Brian {Hamilton Kelly}
><bhk@dsl.co.uk> writes
>>
>>AIUI, Irdeto also have a CAM for digital satellite TV, used by a number
>>of broadcasters.
>>
>so how do you unscramble Irdeto , and i always thought a cam was the
>thing in a car ??!!?? :]
>can u just use your d-box and card?
>cheers
>--
>shamen

- THOUGHTS ON MULTIPLEXING DISHES

Even in theory the output would only be equivalent to a 1.7m dish.

In practice it would be virtually impossible to keep all the signals in
phase over the entire LNB tuning band and instead of adding up the dishes
would cancel each other out.

Insertion loss on all the joins would not help much either.

If you have a two input receiver then put one on one input pointing at your
favourite bird and steer the other.
--

R. Mark Clayton

MClayton@btinternet.com

shamen <shamen@npccomms.demon.co.uk> wrote in article
<1XbgoJAGjP00EwfV@spies.ml.org>...
> I have stumbled upon the idea of multiplexing after being given a couple
> of 1m dishes.
> if i put three of these dishes together the output will be the
> same as one 3m dish, but they must be in a phase locked loopp
> any help on this would be great!
> cheers
>
> --
> shamen
>Once upon a time shamen <shamen@npccomms.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>I have stumbled upon the idea of multiplexing after being given a couple
>>of 1m dishes.
>>if i put three of these dishes together the output will be the
>>same as one 3m dish, but they must be in a phase locked loopp
>>any help on this would be great!
>>cheers

No it wouldn`t. apart from the phasing, which IMO would be near impossible
for the amateur to overcome, 3 x 1m dishes are not the same area or gain
as 1 x 3m dish (Pi r squared for the area of a circle).

1m dish = 7853 cms/sq x 3 = 23,562 cms/sq total
3m dish =                 = 70,685 cms/sq total

I.e  one 3m dish is equal roughly in area to 9 x 1m dishes.
Although overall gain is not 9 times as great it is much greater than 3
off 1m dishes phased together.
Bob.

http://www.turbo.demon.co.uk/

"Meat is murder - but fish is justifiable homicide

- BUNDESLIGA-FEED ON INTELSAT-K

Hello!
There is currently a Bundesliga Football feed on Intelsat K 11,500 H.  It is
encrypted in something that makes the screen roll.  When I set the receiver
to D2MAC then it reduces the rolling, so I can see what's going on in the
background, although the decoder never properly locks on.

Does anyone know what encryption this is? (I've seen it before, so it's
probably not a cunning new system!)

Thanks

- SOME NEWBIE QUESTIONS FROM THE UK

In article <6bhsui$kso$1@laura.pcug.co.uk>, PAJ <PAJ@*NO-
SPAM*mustang.win-uk.net> writes
>I just inherited a Grundig GIRD 2000 and dish, I setup and installed
>dish/receiver pointing at Astra from SW Scotland OK, can you help me with
>some newbie questions?
>
>1) Anyone got any experience with the GIRD2000 or similar clone, and tips on
>how to get the best out of it?

There are a few mods on my web site which you may find useful.

>2) What deals are available from sky for limited viewing, i.e. I just want
>to watch MTV, is there a limited (i.e. cheap!) subscription available?

The cheapest they do is multi-channel (includes MTV), I'm not sure of
the cost - it's about 16.99 UKP/month.

>3) On some channels I recieve a near perfect picture i.e. Eurosport/Cartoon
>Channel/TNT/QVC, others have small black marks appearing across the screen
>(sparkles?) what is the cause of this, and how do I rectify it?

Your dish probably requires more accurate alignment, also try adjusting
the fine tuning - when correctly on tune you should have both white
(sparklies) and black (darklies) on screen. Set the receiver to one of
the poor channels, and then adjust the dish.

>4) My setup is probably quite old, what's the best/cheapest solution for
>purchasing a new dish/receiver, and not signing my life away to BSKYB?

Depends what you want to watch, if you don't want to pay BSkyB just get
an ADX convertor, that will let you get a few more free channels. One of
the mods on my web site is for easy switching of an ADX.

>5) Channel 5 seems to be outwith the frequency of my receiver i.e. 10.xxx,
>is the GIRD200 limited in it's frequency ranges?

Yes, it's not a 1D receiver, an ADX convertor will let you receive CH5.

--

Nigel.

        /--------------------------------------------------------------\
        | Nigel Goodwin   | Internet : nigelg@lpilsley.demon.co.uk     |
        | Lower Pilsley   | Web Page : http://www.lpilsley.demon.co.uk |
        | Chesterfield    |                                            |
        | England         |                                            |
        \--------------------------------------------------------------/

           PAJ@*NO-SPAM*mustang.win-uk.net "PAJ" writes:

> I just inherited a Grundig GIRD 2000 and dish, I setup and installed
> dish/receiver pointing at Astra from SW Scotland OK, can you help me with
> some newbie questions?
>
> 1) Anyone got any experience with the GIRD2000 or similar clone, and tips on
> how to get the best out of it?

Is that the one that *preceded* the STR-1 (in which case it's a clone of
the Pace 9200)?  Or is it the later production that came from South
Wales?

> 2) What deals are available from sky for limited viewing, i.e. I just want
> to watch MTV, is there a limited (i.e. cheap!) subscription available?

MTV is bundled along with a lot of other channels (some of which are
originated by BSkyB, and some of which merely use Sky's card management
centre).  You can either take none of the channels, or all of them;
sorry.  So the cheapest is MutliChoice, which is the thick end of a
tenner a month, nowadays (IIRC: I haven't bothered with BSkyB since they
closed down MarcoPolo in 1992).

> 3) On some channels I recieve a near perfect picture i.e. Eurosport/Cartoon
> Channel/TNT/QVC, others have small black marks appearing across the screen
> (sparkles?) what is the cause of this, and how do I rectify it?

Your tuning is slightly off frequency; IIRC, if you see black sparklies,
you're a fraction too low (and conversely, if you see only white
sparklies, you're a smidgeon too high).  Does the receiver have AFC
(Automatic Frequency Control)?  It might be worth enabling this and
letting the receiver re-scan for each transponder.

(I'm presuming that your dish is not undersized: in Scotland, you should
have an 80cm instead of the 60cm fitted in much of England.  But too
small a dish, and hence a poor signal, would give you both black and
white sparklies.)

> 4) My setup is probably quite old, what's the best/cheapest solution for
> purchasing a new dish/receiver, and not signing my life away to BSKYB?

Look in either What Satellite TV (monthly; British; GBP2.95) or in
TELE-Satellite International (bi-monthly; German & English; GBP4.95).
The former probably has the better deals for those in the UK, although
TSI has far better technical depth to its articles.

Both magazines are available from all good newsagents (and even small
local supermarkets, much to my surprise).

> 5) Channel 5 seems to be outwith the frequency of my receiver i.e. 10.xxx,
> is the GIRD200 limited in it's frequency ranges?

Yes; that answers my original question.  The receiver you have will be
able to tune from 10.950--11.750GHz, which is sufficient to cover Astra
1A--1C.  Astra 1D was introduced in 1993, and required an LNB (in case
you're a *complete* novice, that's the little box at the end of the arm
pointing at the dish) with a local oscillator frequency of 9.75GHz (cf.
the LO of the standard LNB [until then] of 10.0GHz).

You *could* fit such an LNB (expect to pay GBP20--40); however, you would
then have to retune all your channels some 250MHz higher.  In doing so,
you'd discover the deficiency of such an old receiver: it won't tune
above 1750MHz at its IF, and thus the transponders on Astra 1B (17--32)
will be out of range of the receiver (well, at least some of them).  You
WILL be able to get Astra 1D, including Channel 5, though.

One solution would be the Global ADX (or similar) extender; but anything
like this is a kludge.  You'd be better off saving up to buy a decent
receiver: as I said before, there are deals in Wozzat that needn't
involve signing away your bank account to BSkyB through Messrs. Dickheads
or Cockups.

> Reply to
>
> peterj@mustang.win-ukxxx.net

Sorry; this is net.news.  It is NOT a write-only medium; if you post a
question here, expect to read the answer here as well (so that others can
benefit as well).

--
Brian {Hamilton Kelly}                                         bhk@dsl.co.uk
        "The fundamental design flaws [of the products of the Micros^WSirius

#####