This service is sponsored by
TELE-satellite
EUROPES SATELLITE MAGAZINE
http://www.tele-satellite.com

Editor for TS:
Marc Ruenger
eMail: MRuenger@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/mruenger/sat-tv.htm

ALL MATERIAL PROVIDED HERE IS FOR PERSONAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND MAY NOT BE
USED FOR ANY COMERCIAL REASONS, WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION FROM THE EDITOR.

- LEFTHAND/RIGHTHAND CIRCULATION PROGS:

Ron McDonagh writes:

> How do Iget them ?

Point your dish at the satellite (no I'm serious!)

> Have 1.5 dish SMW Triple Band LNB D/D2mac decoder but dont seem
> to get any left or right Signals.

Circularly-polarized signals *are* receivable on any linearly-polarized
LNB; however, by adding a depolarizer, one *can* gain an additional 3dB
of signal (i.e. double it).  However, you need to say just whereabouts in
the Uk you are located.  By L/R signals, I presume you're atlking about
Thor and.or TV-Sat.  There have been reports that signals can be received
reasonably well on dishes as small as 1.2m in the extreme east of
England, and reasonably well in much of Scotland; OTOH, Bob wil tell you
what, whilst he can see TV-Sat on his 3.1m dish, the 2.5 jobbie is pretty
useless (and that's in the Midlands).

So just *where* are you?

--
Brian {Hamilton Kelly}

- SOME INFORMATION ON SKY-MESSAGES

Chris Coe
writes

>They send them forever until the next card change, when they wipe the
>database clean.

This then would mean you have less chance of getting zapped the older a
card release is, since the database is growing all the time. And with so
many people taking on promotions and then most likely cancelling, the
database should be swelling up quite a bit.

>> >There is a rumour that the entire blacklist database is squirted out
>> >during the premiering of new films, series, sports events, etc., in
>> >addition to a regular playout.
>>
>> I wonder how long it takes to get through the whole list though?  By my
>> calculations a message is sent to a card once every 2-3 seconds, which
>

>Nah, that's not right. There are six 74h packets every 2.5 seconds, and
>in the 09 card you could switch off 16 individual cards with each packet,
>so that makes 96 cards every 2.5 seconds, or 138240 cards per hour. Of

Your right of course, I was getting confused with the number of 74h
packets that result in a 78h packet for decoding.

>course, there's nothing to say that the 0A card works in the same way.
>They say it takes approximately 2 hours to whip through the whole list,
>but I have my doubts on that one. Certainly, with nimble insertion/removal
>of a card at the end of a 30 day trial, you can make it into a 60 day
>trial if you're lucky enough :-)

It certainly can't hurt to try....for now.

>> Also has anyone tried recording all the messages to a card while your
>> expecting an upgrade message. Hopefully if you play back all the
>> messages later you will send the upgrade message again.
>
>Yep, and it works until the month code changes. I think that is perhaps
>one little security hole that they will improve upon in the 11 card.

Colin Green

[Other mailing lists]