[Prev][Next][Index]

Sat-UK #182 06.01.98: ASTRA 1G - ASTRA 2A - ASTRA 1K

Sat-UK Report #182:
- Astra 1G now operational
- Astra 2A launch set back
- Astra 1K to be launched in 2000
- Reception reports on Intelsat 605
tuesday 6th january 1998
Email: dsedghi@TELE-Satellite.com OR dominic@bigrp.demon.co.uk
Sat-UK Web: http://www.sat-net.com/sat-uk/
UK Satellite Control: http://www.sat-net.com/uk-satellite/
And now the news:

Since we last met I have got my Nokia 9600S completely operational,
having fitted a new dish and a twin universal LNB. Only problem is that
my Echostar won't accept frequencies above 12,650 GHz now, so my Télécom
line-ups are incomplete. I aim to get the problem solved today...
Tomorrow is Sat-UK's first birthday. I'll be putting up a special
birthday section on the site - birthday messages are very welcome!

---------- Astra 1G now operational

Astra 1G has started to transmit packages at 19.2° east. The ARD Digital
packages on Astra 1E, 11,876 H has moved to Astra 1G on 11,722 H.
Similarly, ARD Digital on 12,421 H has moved to 12,604 H, and ZDF
Digital on 11,993 H has moved to 12,663 H. The former transponders on
Astra 1E/1F seem to be completely empty. The new transponders on Astra
1G appear to be amazingly strong indeed! If you want to send in
reception reports they are quite welcome - obviously with digital TV,
it's not possible to comment on spaklies, but reports from the signal
meters are welcome. My 9600S registers half-way between MEDIUM and GOOD!

---------- Astra 2A launch set back

Sky subscribers hoping for their 200+ channels of pure entertainment
will have to wait a couple more months. The Astra 2A satellites launch
has now been put back to March 30th. The satellite will still launch
with a Proton rocket.

---------- Astra 1K to be launched in 2000

Astra 1K will be launched in 2000 by an Ariane rocket to be positioned
at 19.2° east, where it will replace Astra 1A and 1B. Astra 1A is
nearing the end of its lifetime now, and Astra 1B could still be used
for several years as a feeds satellite. Astra 1K will have 46 Ku-Band
transponders(!) to compensate for the loss. Presumably some of these
will be digital, as analogue TV will have decreased in use considerably
by then.

---------- Reception reports on Intelsat 605

Some reception reports on Intelsat 605 from Gerald Tripp - thanx! I
shall still gladly welcome reception reports for this satellites, as
well as Astra 1G!

60cm dish, 0.7dB LNB, Nokia 9600S
11,476 H: Canal+ & Hallmark - excellent, no problems even in heavy rain
11,661 V: Discovery & Het Weerkanal - ok, picture breaks up in rain
11,665 H: Carlton & Rapture Sat - Nothing at all!

All contents (C) 1997 Dominic Sedghi, except where indicated. All rights
reserved. The above may not be reproduced without written consent.
Information is subject to change and/or may be incorrect.