[Prev][Next][Index]

SAT Observations 97.03.24

WELCOME TO SAT-MIDEAST !
A news release from Cairo, Egypt, located at 30.3 North - 31.15 East,
sponsored by tele-SATELLIT INTERNATIONAL, SATCO-DX and TBS Internet.
WHAT YOU'LL FIND HERE:
- Satellite and Transponder Observations in C- and Ku-Band,
- Commented from the Middle Eastern perspective.
HOW TO CONTACT SAT-MIDEAST:
Send relevant infos, interesting news, and creative comments to :

		hcroom@intouch.com

Upon your request are forwarded messages kept anonymous.
NOT MUCH OF A HEADLINE IN THIS 97.03.24 REPORT:

- BBC Statement
- NOKIA 9200 S FTA
- Polonia 1 moves
- Bits & Pieces

BBC Statement on Eastern Mediterranean Distribution (exerpt).
-------------
Over the coming year, European Channel Management who distribute our
channels throughout Europe, will be making BBC Prime more widely
available for direct-to-home reception on its own and with other
channels.

Already our channels are available on several multi-channel packages
offered by digital gatekeepers, e.g. in Germany via DF1, in France via
TPS and in Scandinavia via Telenor.

It is our intention to secure distribution of our channels via digital
gatekeepers in all territories, including EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN.
Distribution discussions are ongoing and other deals are in the process
of being concluded.

Source BBC, via Nigel Ramsbottom, Transponder NEWS, 23.3.97, SAT-Stefan,
TSI.

NOKIA 9200 S FTA, MPEG-2 Integrated Receiver Decoder
----------------
From Nokia I received today a fact sheet on the latest IRD for the
reception of free-to-air MPEG-2 digital programming, the Mediamaster
9200 S FTA. It does however contain no surprises, as it is based on the
Mediamaster 9500, leaving out the CAM (Conditional Access Modul) and the
modem electronics.

Anyone interested can write to my normal e-mail address
hcroom@intouch.com and request the transmission. I will forward it as
soon as possible with, in addition, some of the FAQ's on this product.

SME COmment: If the mail presently comes back, try again, my provider's
provider is late with payments to the internetbody, who ever that may
be.....it's at least the explanation I received, for unavailability of
the network at various times.

For information concerning the Nokia Mediamaster thanks to Jari
Valtonen, in Duesseldorf, Germany.

HOT BIRD 2, 13 East, http://www.satcodx.com/hb2.html
----------
Additional to the broadcast of Polonia 1 on transponder 53, 11.785 Gz,
H, widebeam, it is now also transmitted from transponder 63, 11.977 GHz,
H, presently using superbeam (no reception in KSA and Gulf). An audio
subcarrier is available on 6.60 MHz, only, the existing empty subcarrier
on 7.20 MHz from transponder 53 is not present on the new transponder.

It has to be expected that transmissions on transponder 53 will cease
shortly, to make way for a new broadcast on this transponder. The
original lease for this transponder had been granted to the Deutsche
Telekom AG, for the ARD/ZDF Phoenix Channel, now moved to DFS
Kopernikus, unfortunately again unreceivable in the Middle East.

EUTELSAT II-f2, 10 East, http://www.satcodx.com/e2f2.html
--------------
The B-MAC transmissions of AFRTS (AFN) will cease from 25 March on
transponder 39, 11.659 GHz, V. They are continuing transmissions on
transponder 27B, 11.178 GHz, V, but since recent days in a coded
MPEG-2/PowerVu 4-channel package with SR 17179 and FEC 3/4.

The AFN broadcast on transponder 39 will be replaced by test
transmissions of RTS-SAT, which will officially start on this satellite
on April 1st. RTS-SAT will cease on Eutelsat II-f4-M, 7 East,
transponder 22B, 11.178 GHz, H, in due course.

It is also time to look out for test transmissions of RIK-Nikosia on
either the Eutelsat II-f2 or (in a curious way) on one of the satellites
on the Hot Bird position 13 East. The channel is supposed to be
re-located from his old position on the Eutelsat II-f4-M at 7 East.

INTELSAT 707, 1 West, http://www.satcodx.com/i707.html
-------------
Israeli channel 2 was absent early morning until 12:00 CET on
transponder 73B, 11.176 Ghz, V. Transponder 73A, 11.136 GHz, V, was in
the same period also without a carrier.
The reception of Channel 2 was without interuption possible from
transponder 111X-B, 11.015 GHz, V, but a ceasure has to be expected.

In the early evening transponder 73A carried a sports feed for Israels
Channel 5. After conclusion the carrier was switched off.

All Israeli satellite channels, IBA-1, IBA-3 and Channel 2 are now
steady available from Amos 1, at 4 West.

AMOS 1, 4 West, http://www.satcodx.com/amos1.html
------
Not receivable in the Middle Eastern area, but just as general
information: The Hungarian, the Czech, and the Polish version of the HBO
movie channel has started digital test transmissions on the Central
European Beam of Amos 1.

No further changes in the line-up on the Middle Eastern Beam.

Best regards,

Henk C. Room / Sat-MidEast / Cairo - Egypt

SAT-MidEast maintains a homepage with all relevant Middle Eastern
satellite information, e.g. receivable satellites, their positions,
future satellites, foot print maps, latest news, broadcaster info's,
interesting Internet links, and a, satellite based, archive of all
messages released since the start of SAT-MidEast on November 5, 1996.

         SAT-MidEast: http://www.sat-net.com/sat-mideast/