[Prev][Next][Index]

D-BOX SECRETS

This letter stand for about 70 e-mails:

Against all your warnings I purchased the new german d-box and here starts
the trouble. No problem to receive the german packages, but no RTL-TV,
Worldnet, AB-Sat. The package of foreign channels in Germany via DFS are not
receivable. Also no luck on the channels on 16° east.
Confusion arises if I read the d-box report on Norbert Schlammers Newsletter
here in the net. He tested over the weekend this box and came more or less
to the same results. But why he is complaining about missing information on
audio-subcarriers. Are the radio-stations transmitting via sub-carriers? If
one uses the search-mode, no frequency indication is given. After three days
of playing around, I come to the conclusion it is useless piece of
electronics for somebody how wants to watch other packages or stations. And
why they dont produce a receiver able to receive analogue and digtial signals.
Dr. H. Fessler, D-Diessen

Dr.Dish:
"I say it only once": This boxes are only a piece of technics, belonging to
a particular program-package and nothing else. Each package works only with
the national viewing card and the proper Conditional Access Module. This
includes also the so called "free channels": no card, no viewing. Even if
you have an Irdeto CAM, this does not mean you will receive the
Irdeto-encoded signals from a other provider. The datarate runs in this
home-boxes between 15 and 30 Msymb/s. SCPC-siganls in MPEG are transmitted
in lower rates and cant be detected. So forget 16° east. The signals from
TV10 and TMF are NTL-encoded and running with 5.632 (FEC 3/4). So, no chance!
There are no audio subcarriers used in this mode, because everything is
inside the package and there is no difference between digital audio or
video. Only audio requires less space inside the package.
Dont expect by buying a d-box a piece of high technology. Its constructed
and build for easy use on a fixed dish. Just to receive the channels you
paid for and nothing else. In the winter time you can use the box as an
additional heater, because its not quite a fridge.
An dual-receiver (analogue and digital) is planned by a smaller company and
will be soon on the market. At this time I have no permission to reveal the
companys name.
For all interested in MPEG-frequencies: N. Schlammer did a good job in
listing all Astra-MPEG-frequencies in his SAT-INFO from yesterday. Just
subscribe the service - free of charge - via TELE-satellit online.
In drdish@tv on august 9th we will try to answer all MPEG-questions and will
give some hints how to receive the signals with higher or lower datarates.
Christian Mass (Dr.Dish)
Editor of TELE-satellite magazine
Home-page: http://www.TELE-satellit.com
and
Producer of DR.DISH TV
The first European Satellite Information Channel
Home-page: http://www.sat-net.com/drdish/

[Other mailing list archives]