[Prev][Next][Index]

SAT-Usenet 15/98

SAT-Usenet
15/98
get the best from Satellite-TV Newsgroups via eMail!

This service is sponsored by
TELE-satellite
INTERNATIONAL
http://www.tele-satellite.com

Editor for TSi:
Marc Ruenger
eMail: MRuenger@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/mruenger/sat-tv.htm

ALL MATERIAL PROVIDED HERE IS FOR PERSONAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND MAY NOT BE
USED FOR ANY COMERCIAL REASONS, WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION FROM THE EDITOR.

- LEFTHAND AND RIGHTHAND POLARIZATION

On 11 Apr 1998 13:51:47 GMT, paulcar78e@aol.com (PaulCar78e) wrote:

>Hi I am using a amstrad srd510 and a ctu900+mod and I can get 1west ok
>using H or V polorisation but how to I get L or R do I need another lnb or
does
>it need a mod to my receiver?
>
>Any help or info most welcome... paulcar78e@aol.com

Well I am amazed as I have already answered this question loads of
times already. So I guess you have never heard of Deja News before.

First of all your LNB and receiver is perfectly fine for receiving
circular polarized signals (L & R), provided that your system can tune
into the correct frequency.

The CTU900 does not need any other mods, as after all it would not
notice the difference between a linear or circular signal.

Your problem no doubt is your dish size as satellites sending cicular
polarized signals are now old and weak compared to the modern
satelites.

So you will need a big dish, but its size depends on where exactly you
live, and no doubt you are after Thor1.

I receive Thor1 fine on my 1.2m dish, but remember I am in one of the
best spots in the UK for receiving Thor1, so I expect you will need
one larger.

You may benefit from a polarizer/depolarzer but that depends on your
LNB, receiver and where you live.

So if you supply these details then I will be able to tell you what
you exactly need.

SatGod.

- WHERE IS CMT, AND WHERE IS A REPLACEMENT???

In article <6gng9h$3ot$1@heliodor.xara.net>, Billy Grace
<bgrace@globalnet.co.uk> comments ...

>Where is CMT from Astra?????

It is now on :

NoLongerExists Sat 1 @ 385.4 degrees east  using NoSuchSystem encryption
[for which cards are *not* available] !

(It is amazing how many people don't read newsgroups (or teletext or
magazines)) ..:-(

--

Ray

                        mailto:ray.w@zen.co.uk

Country Music Videos on Satellite !!!!

I miss CMT !!!!

Hello country lovers

I miss CMT videos !!!

Can you help me to find schedules of country music broadcasts from
European TVs ??

I got analog & digital receiver and a movable dish.
I can acquire satellites from 42 East to 37.5 West.

I know only Onyx TV who broadcasts good videos on 13 East
analog/digital.

These are Country Schedules:

Wednesday at 1200
Saturday at 1700
Sunday at 2100

all time are CET

Once there was something on 3sat ?!??!

Is there anything on Scandinavian TVs ???

PLEASE ANSWER ME VIA EMAIL. I didn't subscribe to this group !!!!!!

Thanks in advance

________________________
yoakam (Florence, Italy)
Email: yoakam@dada.it
http://members.tripod.com/~yoakam/

- SOMETHING ABOUT RECEIVING GERMAN VH-1 (AGAIN, BY DEMAND)

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998 20:49:15 +0200, "Delfosse Vincent"
<vdelfosse@skynet.be> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I've a MSS1000 receiver with integrated videocrypt decoder, no sky
>subscribtion.
>
>I want to receive channel 'VH1'. When i select this channel, it appear first
>clear, then, after the decoder has recognised videocrypt, scrambled. It is
>then possible that if i had no decoder, then the image comes clear (i
>think).
>
>Do you know a solution ?

yes

Take a Paper clip

bend it open

poke one end into Pin 19 of your decoder scart socket
poke the other into Pin 20 of your decoder scart socket

now select "Dec-AV" in the Decoder set-up menu (on that channel)
and wha-La you have VH-1

the other way to watch it is as follows

go to Instalation menu
"Picture"
Set contrast level to "1"
Press Store and Store and you can also watch VH-1
the only problem with this is that if you subscribe to sky your VC1
decoder will not now come in so you have to rest the contast level
after watching VH-1

ALL REFERENCES TO VH-1 refer to THE GERMAN VERSION of this Channel
transmitting from ASTRA

Tony Hiscox

HISAT
Butterfly House
161 Bloomfield Road
Brislington
Bristol
BS4 3QR UK

Tel:- +44 (0) 117 972 1814
Fax:- +44 (0) 117 985 7349
Mob:- +44 (0) 410 230 883
eMail:- hisat@hisat.com
Website http://www.hisat.com

Please, Ask an Adult before contributing here
WE USUALLY ONLY ADVERTISE IN alt.satellite.tv.forsale

In article <6gtmnp$gso$1@news1.skynet.be>
           vdelfosse@skynet.be "Delfosse Vincent" writes:

> I've a MSS1000 receiver with integrated videocrypt decoder, no sky
> subscribtion.
>
> I want to receive channel 'VH1'. When i select this channel, it appear first
> clear, then, after the decoder has recognised videocrypt, scrambled. It is
> then possible that if i had no decoder, then the image comes clear (i
> think).
>
> Do you know a solution ?

Make up a SCART plug with Video Out connected back to Video In.  Put this
into the external decoder socket on the MSS1000.  Select EXTERNAL-V on
the menu for that particular channel.

The reason this works is that German VH-1 (which I assume you must be
meaning) is broadcast in clear PAL, but has a VideoCrypt data header that
fools the integrated decoder into trying to descramble it --- this has
the effect of ENcoding it.  By routing the signal out to the SCART, and
back in again, the internal decoder is by-passed.

BTW, this question has been asked (and answered) at least 25 times over
the past two years (or so) since VH-1DE started: did you not try looking
in the DejaNews archives first?

--
Brian {Hamilton Kelly}                                         bhk@dsl.co.uk
        "The fundamental design flaws [of the products of the Micros^WSirius

- SOME INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT SKYs DIGITAL PLANS AND A DIGITAL GLOSSAR

On 14 Apr 98 11:12:49 GMT, 77cursonn@unl.ac.uk (NIGEL CURSON) wrote:

>In article <B158D76096681E833@0.0.0.0>,
>gulpenstein@hotmail.com (Tom Jones) writes:
>>In article <3533066c.0@news.unl.ac.uk>,
>>77cursonn@unl.ac.uk (NIGEL CURSON) wrote:

<SNIP>

>OK here's a brief summary - excuse me if I don't understand ALL the techie
>stuff
>
>Sky:
>
>Transmission QPSK
*standard for DVB-S (i.e. dig. satellite) broadcasts*
>API Open TV (for British Interactive Broadcasting services)
*API= Application Programming Interface*
>CAS Videoguard
*Conditional Access System. VideoGuard must be the system that Sky
(or News Data Corp) had developed by their encryptiion experts in
Israel*
>EPG BSkyB
*EPG=Electronic Programmme Guide - the list of what's on now & next
etc. that the user can opo up on the TV screen*
>Common interface: No
*This is the spec that alienates $ky for most readers of this NG.
Basically "No" means proprietary & not available elsewhere nor
compatible with any other CA system.
>28.8 modem in upmarket models
* I hear they plan to use "voice" here also -so your receiver may
actually "talk" to you !!*
>Initial suppliers Amstrad, Grundig, Pace, Matsushita
* Grundig's contract is in consortium with Hyundai so may use some of
Huyundai's technology. Matsushita is better known as Panasonic in UK
(or Technics if you're into hi-fi) *

>BDB (terrestrial)
>Transmission COFDM
*Coded Orthoganal Frequency Division Multiplex.It's a spread-spectrum
multi-carrier transmission similar to DAB (Digital Audio
Broadcast);the EU standard is for 8192 possible carriers whereas BDB
will use 2048 carriers.This made the required chips easier to
produce.Later (full Euro-spec,8192  )versions will also be "backwards
compatible with the 2048 system.
>API Mediahighway +
>CAS SECA
*as used by Canal+,France*
>EPG MHEG five format
>Common interface: Yes in integrated digital TVs, possibly in set-top boxes
>Interactivity in second generation box
>Initial suppliers Grundig, Nokia, Pace, Philips, Sony, Toshiba
*also being worked on by other manufacturers -basically all well-known
makers of TV's for the UK are working on digital TV's *

>Digital Cable TV
>Transmission 64QAM
>Set-top box spec, API, CAS and EPG will all be will be operator specific,
>although Cable and Wireless will have close links with Sky and digital
>terrestrial broadcasters. It is laying a fibre-optic link between the Sky
>digital playout centre and the CWC headend.
*CWC is the outfit formed by the merger (takeover?) of Nynex & ISTR 3
other UK cable operators last year.

>Talk about nightmare market fragmentation.
*absolutely agree!!*

>Hope this helps, N
>n.curson@unl.ac.uk

The Sky digital boxes will receive other free-to-air DVB
transmissions but I do not expect them to receive SCPC
(Single Channel Per Carrier) signals.

Chris Muriel,Manchester,UK

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998 16:23:00 GMT, paul.brown@amigabee.org.uk (Paul
Brown) wrote:

>Has anyone got any news about the BIB (BSkyB, Midland, BT) digital
>receivers?

Well I have been keeping watch, so this may be of help.

>Will they still be available to exisiting Sky subscribers in
>June,

That is their plan, but with recent problems you would be quite lucky
if you do actually buy one in June.

>although  the service itself has been delayed until next Spring?

Latest info says they will start a reduced service in June, and the
full package will start in the spring.

>Do they support SCPC,

I expect it would.

>PIDs,

Tough choice, but I expect it would in an hidden menu so as not to
confuse the standard sky subscribers.

>EPG,

Yes.

>Teletext,

Yes.

>and have a Common Interface?

That I very much doubt.

>Any news would be appreciated as I'm on the verge of buying any digital
>receiver.

Well if your on the verge it won't be from sky. ;-)

If you do get a sky one then I would recommend a second generation
model when they fix all the problems with the first lot.

Or just sod sky and get one compatiable with the rest of Europe, but
it could be quite a few years before you could watch sky on it.

SatGod.

#####