This service is sponsored by

TELE-satellite

INTERNATIONAL

http://www.tele-satellite.com

Editor for TSi:

Marc Ruenger

eMail: marcruenger@geocities.com

http://members.aol.com/mruenger/sat-tv.htm

ALL MATERIAL PROVIDED HERE IS FOR PERSONAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND MAY NOT BE
USED FOR ANY COMERCIAL REASONS, WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION FROM THE EDITOR.

****

TO ALL SUBSCRIBERS THE BEST WHISHES FOR THE NEW YEAR, 1998 !!!

****

- ABOUT CANAL+, AGAIN !

On Tue, 23 Dec 97 02:16:27 GMT, bhk@dsl.co.uk (Brian {Hamilton Kelly})

wrote:

>What on earth makes you think that it costs Canal+ ANYTHING to change the

>codes. I can assure you that (apart from thinking up a 56-bit number) it

>costs ZILCH.

>> But the original cards needs to be updated to, with the new key's. I've

>> been told that the (ISO7816) cards C+ and others use only can contain 8

>> key's/ident ??, if this is correct the cards have to be updated at least

>> every month via the decoder.

>ALL official cards are updated once a month over the air; this is one of

>the differences between FilmNet (now Canal+) and BSkyB: the latter

>provide a card which works for ever, unless and until BSkyB send a signal

>to deactivate it. OTOH, the D2MAC cards are enabled on a monthly basis

>over the air, and this only happens for those subscribers that have paid

>their money that month. If they don't pay, the card misses its update

>run, and eventually the entitlement recorded therein runs out. This

>sometimes hits genuine subscribers who have been on holiday, and left the

>card out/equipment switched off: they then have to request a manual

>update over the air.

One small correction there Brian..

The service provider decides the period of update, it is NOT fixed to

1 month. As an example Danish DR2 updates for three YEARS on both

VIASAT and CANAL+ cards.

And TV-3 often updates their cards (VIASAT) for longer periods too,

especially if there has been customer complaints.

Servi - the Dane

NOTE FROM THE EDITOR:

Get yourself the new VOYAGER-Version, this works with ALL Canal+ Channels as
of sunday. (Find a link on my page...)

#####

You can subscribe AND unsubscribe at TELE-satellites Homepage at:
http://www.tele-satellit.com

For information on how to subscribe or unsubscribe, send email to
Majordomo@tags1.dn.net (_not_ to me, please – so do NOT use reply) and
include the line

help

in the body of your message.