Subject: Re: Does the new sky card conatin the same asic?
From: aaron@enterprise.net (Datman)
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 17:20:02 GMT

On 11 Apr 1997 07:11:22 -0600, jwood@nyx.cs.du.edu (jon wood) wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>

>Does the new sky card contain the same asic as the sky 10.
>
>This question may have more relevance than you may imagine at
>first glance, why?
>
>Currently both sky card 10 and sky card 11 will decode while
>theyre swapping over. Therefore if the current packets require
>the asic to be decoded the new card must contain either the same asic
>as the 10 card or be able to emulate it (unlikely).
>
>Alternatively if sky are not relying on the asic while swapping over
>a hack must be possible without using an asic and I have not seen any
>evidence of this.
>
>Any one have any ideas,

Hi

I think that it must be possible to configure an asic to work in dual
mode ie 10 and 11 series configuration and if they haven't done this
then sky have written code in the 11 series to handle the transition
between 10 and 11 series into the 11 card, this means that the asic in
the 11 card is indeed different and returns different values so they
have just accomidated this in their 0a emulatiion routines..(in the 11
card)

Ihope that this clarifies the situation, but there again they are only
my thoughts.

Comments welcome on this....

Greetings,

Datman.