This service is sponsored by
TELE-satellite
EUROPES SATELLITE MAGAZINE
http://www.tele-satellite.com

Editor for TS:
Marc Ruenger
eMail: MRuenger@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/mruenger/sat-tv.htm

ALL MATERIAL PROVIDED HERE IS FOR PERSONAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND MAY NOT BE
USED FOR ANY COMERCIAL REASONS, WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION FROM THE EDITOR.

- RADIO NETHERLANDS' FUTURE ON ASTRA

 ra> From: Ray Woodward

 ra> The Dutch external broadcaster Radio Netherlands have just announced
 ra> details of their new home via Astra to Europe.
 ra> With the switching of RTL 5 from analogue to digital capacity Radio
 ra> Netherlands will (effective from September 1st) operate its two Astra
 ra> radio subcarries via Astra 1D transponder 58 [Granada Good Life
 ra> services] 10.847 gHz Vertical using 7.38 and 7.56 mHz.

 Hi Ray,

 Yes, they started broadcasting on Tp. 58 on Saturday 31 August. The
 service on Tp. 64 was cut on Sunday 1 September, when TM3 started-up
 there.

 Mike

- NETTALK ABOUT HOTBIRD TWO

Tony Chammas comments :

> >What's the word on Hotbird 2 ? When/ Where? etc.
>
> Last I heard (somewhile back now so this may be out of date now) the
> launch was scheduled for September 4th.

I think Eutelsat have said it'll now probably be "late October". Oh yeah,
and it'll be co-located with HB1 at 13E.

> >Also any new channels on HotBird 1 ?
>
> You might keep an eye on the old Tm 3 transponder on Eutelsat II F6,
> there are rumours of RTL 5 [Germany] *not* to be confused with RTL 5
> [Holland] ...

I know which station I'd rather watch ;)

        Timo

- SOMETHING INTERSTING FROM THE USA, CONCERNING DIGITAL SCRAMBLING

Elizabeth says...

>I just read an article about the VES1777 receiver chip that VLSI
>Technology is making.  It's my understanding that this chip can make is
>so a person can get Directv/USSB(DSS) or The Dish Network(DVB).  My
>question is will consumers be able to buy the chip froma distributor and
>install it in a receiver they currently own or will you just have to buy
>one of the new receivers with the chip in it.  According to the article I
>read the chip will cost about $19.50 when bought in bulk.
>
>Kim

Kim

    Unfortunately it probably isn't going to work that way or be that easy -
especially in the near future. DBS may someday evolve the way you describe.
For
the immediate future, DSS and E* have chosen a chipset by LSI Logic to base
their
second gen units on. Don't know what the other DSS hardware mfg's are using
such
as Sony etc.

    While the VLSI chip is capable of handling all of the existing standards,
they
will have to convice DBS hardware mfg's to switch to their technology from
LSI
Logic. Also, a big issue over and above the chip's capability is one of
licensing.
Even if a mfg made a receiver "capable" of receiving multiple dbs provider
schemes,
that mfg would have to get licensed to actually do so. Also, these dbs
receivers are
programmed during mfg with the appropriate software and protocol to receive a
particular transmission scheme - ie. DSS or E*. Some of this software and
protocol
is resident internal to the chip(s). So in order to change to a different dbs
provider
it would require reprogramming of the IC. There IC's are surface mount and
are
soldered to the pc board after programming. This scheme is to keep cost and
complexity
to a minimum. The receiver box could be made to be reconfigurable but that
would
add to the cost and right now, as we have seen, cost is a major objective to
enabling market share.

Mark

[Other mailing lists]