This service is sponsored by
TELE-satellite
EUROPES SATELLITE MAGAZINE
http://www.tele-satellite.com

Editor for TS:
Marc Ruenger
eMail: MRuenger@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/mruenger/sat-tv.htm

ALL MATERIAL PROVIDED HERE IS FOR PERSONAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND MAY NOT BE
USED FOR ANY COMERCIAL REASONS, WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION FROM THE EDITOR.

- ASTRA-Beams and SKY-2 Reception in Portugal/Spain:

Shafik Remtula wrote:

> Dear Fellows
>
> You might find interesting to know that some of Astra 1A
> horizontal transponders don't reach Portugal or Southern Spain.
> If we weren't able to get TV3 Sweden or TV1000 (in D2Mac)
> before, we're still unable to receive the new channels in
> these two frequencies - due to a limited footprint (and we're
> not that far from the UK or France, for example).
> That means that I cant watch Sky 2 with my "illegal" Sky
> Card - which costed a fortune down here - with a medium size
> dish (80/90 cm). Will a 1m 80 dish work? I need to know!
> If Sky puts Star Trek on Sky 2 and I'm still unable to watch,
> I'll surely die of despair...
> Any one there sharing my grief?

Not sharing your grief, but sympathetic.
I have met many Brits on planes to Lisbon and strangely, it's the
retired schoolteachers who moan the most.  They think they have a
right to watch e.g. UK Gold which is also fraught in the Algarve.
Now it depends where in Portugal you are because you are on the bitter
edge of the footprint for 1a as you say. Sky 2 is less than 44dBW for
virtually all of Portugal.
Lets use Sky 1 as a guide, which is about 46dBW in central Pt.
So Sky 2 will be about 3dB down on Sky 1.
So if you have a watchable picture on Sky 1 with an 85 cm dish (I'm
surpised if you do because if I do a link budget calculation for 46dBW
onto an 85cm dish, you ought to have significant degradation of
picture)) then a 1.80m dish should do nicely for Sky 2 and all other
channels and give you a better picture than you get currently on Sky
1.
Oh, and there's one thing about dishes bigger than 1m, because of
their narrow beam width, they look at a smaller region of sky (small
s) and the sky noise is lower and so a very good LNB is worth a
thought,  e.g. a 0.6dB LNB would help a lot as well for the rare time
it rains.
Ive just about finished the addendum on benefits by changing LNB to
lower noise figure on my sat web page
http:/m2.ph.man.ac.uk/~sat

- EUROPEAN TELEVISION IN THE USA

Lorenzo Leoni writes:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I moved from Switzerland to San Diego (California) a year ago.
> I would like to know if it is possible to receive european satellite
> channels in California and which kind of satellite equipment I need.
> There are know offers (DSS) for dishes and receivers at 200 $.
>
> The DSS system consists of a small 18-inch satellite dish, a digital
> integrated receiver/decoder (IRD), which separates each channel, and
> decompresses and translates the digital signal so a television can show
> it, and a remote control.
>
> Would this system allow me get to european satellites ?
>
> Thank you very much

The main thing stopping you is going to be a huge chunk of rock we
know of as 'Earth'.... but it can be done...

If you have a spare space-ship in the shed then you could fly it
round the globe and watch from there, or a any bits of long cable
kicking about in the garage that can reach round the planet to
a dish that can see the footprint of the European satellites.

An 18 cm dish ? - Erm, you could probably cook eggs in it....
- 18 inches are about 65cm, and quite enough for us digital tv, The Ed. !!!

Try www.satcodx.com for footprint information on European Satellites.

- Lorenzo should be able to receive Deutsche Welle TV, RTP and RAI
International in the USA (The Ed.)

[Other mailing lists]