[Prev][Next][Index]

Sat-ND, 24.07.1998

Sat-ND, 24.07.98
Now with even more typos at no additional charge

This service is provided free of charge for personal use. It may be used and redistributed for non-commercial purposes only, provided the following notice is included: Copyright Sat-ND (http://sat-nd.com/)

Further information: http://sat-nd.com/
Comments and contributions: pck@sat-nd.com
Unsubscribe before people start calling you Maurrrrice!
This does not work with all browsers. For information on how to do it manually, have a look at the end of this message.

Looking for a specific channel on satellite? Try http://www.satcodx.com/
Technical questions? Find the answers at http://www.drdish.com/

Contents

SATELLITES
Intelsat 805 begins service
DIGITAL
EchoStar's SkyVista to replace AlphaStar
Irdeto scrambles Italian digital TV
RUPERTWATCH
Ruperttelevisione Italiana
Rupert buys Hong Kong uplink license
FEEDBACK
What's DBS? [Sat-ND, 23.07.1998]

SATELLITES

Intelsat 805 begins service

Intelsat announced that the Intelsat 805 communications satellite has begun service in the Atlantic Ocean Region at 55.5 degrees West. The satellite was successfully launched aboard a Lockheed Martin Atlas IIAS launch vehicle on June 18, 1998.

With a designed orbital manoeuvre lifetime of over 15 years, Intelsat 805 features 28 C-band transponders (linear polarisation) with power up to 41.5 dBW, and allows simultaneous high-quality connectivity over the Americas and Europe. Intelsat 805 also offers capacity in the extended C-band, allowing users optimum connectivity at lower infrastructure costs with antennas as small as 1.5 meters.

The spacecraft also includes three Ku-band high-power transponders with power up to 52 dBW. In addition, the Intelsat 805 offers new options that guarantee cost-effective service and increased flexibility.

Several Intelsat customers have already leased transponders on Intelsat 805, primarily for Internet traffic, as well as other voice and data applications. Among them are Embratel (Brazil), Impsat Argentina, Telecomm Mexico, Firstcom Long Distance Chile, Telefonica del Peru, CANTV (Venezuela), Musicar S.A. (Colombia) and Teleglobe.

Intelsat 805: http://www.intelsat.int/s-m/805/805page.htm

Back to top

DIGITAL

EchoStar's SkyVista to replace AlphaStar

Yesterday, there was a press release by Loral about EchoStar's new niche service which will be carried on Telstar V. Today, this so-called newsletter also has what EchoStar said.

EchoStar chairman Charlie Ergen said the company was hoping especially for former customers of AlphaStar, a failed digital TV service. EchoStar's SkyVista is "AlphaStar reborn, with 30 channels instead of 100," Ergen was quoted as saying.

The service will be launched in October and actually use the same satellite as AlphaStar, which had 51,000 subscribers when it went off air last August.

Ergen said there was a growing relationship with Loral: "Loral has assets that makes sense for us to utilise." He did not directly answer questions about whether Loral could have a growing presence with EchoStar: "We send them a big check every month. They don't send us any money."

Back to top

Irdeto scrambles Italian digital TV

Irdeto Access, which has been responsible for large pay media integration contracts such as the 30-country MultiChoice Africa operation, has completed another large integration project for Telecom Italia's recently-launched digital DTH service.

Through an integration agreement with Stream S.p.A, the subscriber management service provider for Telecom Italia, Irdeto Access was responsible for the full digital project implementation for an expected 150,000 subscribers by the end of the year and some 500,000 subscribers by the end of next year. This meant integrating the Irdeto Access Conditional Access System with NDS compression equipment installed at Stream's head-end facility in Rome.

The Irdeto Access relationship with Stream dates back to January 1996 when a contract was signed to provide the world's first MPEG-2/DVB compliant digital cable system. Italian decoder manufacturer Italtel has supplied the initial IRDs which will support OpenTV for interactive services.

Back to top

RUPERTWATCH

by Dr Sarmaz

Ruperttelevisione Italiana

Telecom Italia said it was in talks with Keith Rupert Murdoch's News Corp, British Sky Broadcasting and other broadcasters about linking up to develop the pay-television market in Italy. BSkyB had no immediate comment.

It's unclear how such a joint venture would work. Telecom said whether it would sell a stake in its unprofitable Stream TV unit or bringing the new partner into a recently created joint venture with public broadcaster RAI. However, Telecom and RAI reportedly disagree about the investment plans and strategies of their venture. A memorandum of understanding between RAI and Telecom to set up a digital platform expired in May.

Italian financial daily Il Sole 24 Ore reported that RAI could take around 10-15 percent in a planned digital TV platform for Italy, and Keith Rupert Murdoch could take 20-30 percent. RAI's stake could be strengthened through corporate governance agreements to give it a role in strategic decisions.

Over 51 percent would remain in Telecom Italia's hands, which may be seen as an answer to recent criticism in political circles. As reported, communications undersecretary Vincenzo Vita said international partners were needed but said the problem was "finding a partner who can guarantee an offer compatible with Italy and Europe." U.S. citizen Murdoch is a renowned anti-European.

Back to top

Rupert buys Hong Kong uplink license

Keith Rupert Murdoch's News Corp.'s Star TV division has taken control of the license to operate and distribute the Star TV network in Hong Kong.

Star TV acquired a 52 percent stake in Hutchvision Hong Kong Ltd., the company licensed by the government to run Star TV. Star TV previously held a 48 percent stake in Hutchvision but was prevented by government regulations from attaining full ownership. The government recently removed restrictions on foreign ownership of the satellite uplink and downlink license.

Winning full ownership of the Hutchvision license "is an important reassurance for Star TV to continue investing heavily in Hong Kong, the home base of our operations," Star TV said.

A Star TV spokeswoman wouldn't disclose the financial terms of the deal but said the money involved "wasn't substantial."

Back to top

FEEDBACK

What's DBS? [Sat-ND, 23.07.1998]

I wrote that "there is [to my knowledge] no Israeli DBS satellite yet." Henk C Room asks "Aren't you considering the fully Israeli build Amos 1 at 4 West, as a DBS sat?"

He continues: "In my eyes it surely is. Two spotbeams of over 50 dBW: the Horizontal polarisation on Mid-Europe and the Vertical Polarisation on the Israeli territories. [54 to 56 dbW actually, depending on the sources--Ed.]

"While the european spot transponder are almost fully booked, is there plenty of transponder space on the eastern beam, which is presently used by the IBA 1 & 3, Israel's Channel 2 and ME-TV."

Okay, I guess there's no definition what DBS really means (except that it's short for Direct Broadcast Satellite.) In my view, Amos does not qualify for DBS as I understand the term. To me, it's just a plain vanilla medium power satellite despite the high EIRP values in the beam centres. You can't really compare that to the DBS birds that offer the same over even a higher EIRP, for instance, all over the Continental U.S. They have up to five times the total onboard power, weigh three times as much at launch, etc.

Is Amos DTH? Yes. DBS? Nah. DBS usually takes place in what's been aptly called the "DBS band" (11.75-12.5 GHz or even 12.7 GHz.) Amos in contrast broadcasts between 11 and 11.45 GHz.

By the way: Amos also isn't what I would call "fully Israeli built." An Amos Web page says the satellite was "developed and manufactured by Israel Aircraft Industries, in cooperation with DASA of Germany and Alcatel Espace of France."

Nonetheless, I think your guess that some or all of the planned Israeli DTH digital services may be offered on Amos' Mideast beam is correct. I just wouldn't call that DBS, that's all.

R.R. Satellite Communications--AMOS

Back to top

Copyright 1998 Sat-ND/Peter C. Klanowski, pck@sat-nd.com. All rights reserved. Peter C Klanowski shall not be liable for errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.
unsubscribe sat-nd
in the body of your message. If that does not work, append your email address, e.g.