[Prev][Next][Index]

Sat-ND, 12.05.1998

Sat-ND, 12.05.98
Workin' in a coal mine

This service is provided free of charge for personal use. It may be used and redistributed for non-commercial purposes only, provided the following notice is included: Copyright 1998, Peter C Klanowski
Further information: http://www.lynet.de/~pck/ or http://www.sat-net.com/pck/
Comments and contributions: pck@LyNet.De
How long can this go on? Unsubscribe right now!
This does not work with all browsers. For information on how to do it manually, have a look at the end of this message.

Sat-ND is sponsored by TELE-satellite International <
http://www.TELE-satellite.com/>

More international mailings lists: http://www.sat-net.com/
Looking for a specific channel on satellite? Try http://www.satcodx.com/
Technical questions? Find the answers at http://www.drdish.com/

Contents

LAW & ORDER
U.S. Government to block Primestar/Murdoch satellite deal
BUSINESS
Optus terminates Australis satellite contract
JOKE DU JOUR
Two Cowboys

BURP!

A bad day for news, so here's only a very short Sat-ND. That gives me some time to answer some of your email, on the other hand :-) Frankly, the most interesting press release today came from the 45th Civil Engineer Squadron [U.S. Air Force, I suppose] and was titled "Wing projects help protect turtle nesting grounds." Space related? Of course, as those "gentle giants are lurking in the ocean waters off Patrick Air Force Base and Cape Canaveral Air Station."

The full story: http://www.flatoday.com/space/today/051298a.htm

LAW & ORDER

U.S. Government to block Primestar/Murdoch satellite deal

The U.S. Department of Justice sued to block a US$1.1 billion merger between Primestar and Rupert Murdoch's direct broadcast satellite (DBS) businesses.

The civil antitrust lawsuit filed against the deal in a U.S. District Court would block Primestar, Inc., from acquiring the DBS assets of Murdoch's News Corporation Limited and MCI. The government alleged the deal was an illegal monopolisation and an unlawful restraint of trade.

According to the DOJ, the deal would allow the cable companies that own Primestar (Tele-Communications Inc.; Time Warner Inc.; Comcast Corp.; Cox Enterprises Inc., and U.S. West/MediaOne) to protect their monopolies and keep out new competitors using satellite technology. TCI and Time Warner are the largest and second largest cable companies in the U.S.

The deal would have allowed Primestar to shift to 45-cm diameter satellite dishes from the slightly larger ones it uses now. The Federal Communications Commission also is currently reviewing the deal.

Back to top

BUSINESS

Optus terminates Australis satellite contract

Optus Communications Ltd officially confirmed it had terminated a satellite agreement to transmit the pay-television signal of Australis Media Ltd, which is in receivership, to its Galaxy subscribers.

It's still unclear what will happen with the transponders on Optus B3. An Optus spokesman was quoted as saying the primary consideration was "that we do not want to leave Galaxy subscribers without a pay-television service."

He reclined to comment on whether Optus was hoping to pick up Galaxy subscribers. He added, however, that Optus will not stop distributing the signal until "the issue of the Galaxy subscribers" is resolved.

Back to top

JOKE DU JOUR

Two Cowboys

Scott Dance forwarded this truly religious joke to me yesterday. Cheers!

Two cowboys, one a devout church man and the other just as devout in atheism were riding the range one day and herding cattle.

As luck would have it there was a storm, and the cattle stampeded straight towards a cliff. The cowboys were trapped between the oncoming cattle and the cliff with no escape.

The religious cowboy looked to the other and said "I guess its time we said our prayers." The atheist said "I don't know any prayers, I am an atheist," to which the religious cowboy replied, "well if you know any at all, now would be a good time to say it."

The atheist cowboy thought for a moment, bowed his head and started, "Thank you father for that which we are about to receive..."

Back to top

You may also want to point your browser at http://www.infidels.org/ but frankly, I think these guys are more or less wasting their time.

Copyright 1998, Peter C. Klanowski, pck@LyNet.De. All rights reserved. Peter C Klanowski shall not be liable for errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.
unsubscribe sat-nd
in the body of your message. If that does not work, append your email address, e.g.