[Prev][Next][Index]

Sat-ND, 18.6.96

Sat-ND 96-06-18 - Satellite and Media News

This service is provided free of charge for personal use. It may be
reproduced for non-commercial reasons only, provided the following notice
is included:
"(c) Copyright 1996 by Sat-ND, http://www.sat-net.com/pck/"
Please send any contributions and comments regarding Sat-ND to
Peter C. Klanowski, Fax +49-451-5820055, pck@LyNet.De

This issue is sponsored by TELE-satellite, Europe's Satellite Magazine
Have a look at their homepage! >> http://www.TELE-satellit.com/ <<

Fat Cats on satellite
Here it is, the first Sat-ND competition. There are no prizes to be won,
but maybe we can all have a good laugh. What is it all about? Well, you
should make up some funny satellite names. Not for me, but for at Nebraska
Educational Telecommunications. They are saying farewell "to the best and
only executive leader and founder we have ever had at our organisation,"
as Gaylen E. Whited wrote me today. "A retirement Toast is planned in his
honour, and we are wanting to poke fun at an enormous list of satellite
services that he developed over the years here at the network." There are
quite a few of them, such as AGSAT (an agricultural college consortium),
C-vis (another college consortium), NEBSAT (Nebraska educational
broadcasting satellite)... you get the idea.
Now, for the funny part. Think of acronyms such as those above, but twist
'em. Examples? FATCATSAT, a service for overpaid veterinarians and their
overweight feline clients. BratSAT, a service for parents on how to manage
their kids. Any more ideas? Send them to me or directly to
gwhited@unl.edu. The only condition is that the acronyms have to end with
SAT or VIS. We hope to publish the results once they're there. And all
right, if there's sufficient material I'm going to set up a Web page for
it. So, to read your name on the World Wide Web, start thinking of silly
satellite acronyms right now. Cheers!

No AMOS on Sabbath
Israel's AMOS 1 satellite (latest position: 3.9°W) will not be operated on
the Sabbath and holy days, respecting Jewish religious law. According to
the Itim news agency, religiously observant scientists insisted that the
satellite's main motor rest on the days specified in the Bible. The Jewish
religious edict of rest on these days also forbids the operation of
electronic equipment.

Canada to use 28 GHz
Remote parts of Canada may be linked with the rest of the world by the
year 2001, using a so-called local multipoint communications system
(LCMS). Of course, this can only be achieved via satellite. A newly formed
partnership called RegionalVision has applied to the Canadian government
for a licence to use the 28 GHz frequency range to deliver digital and
analogue services. Small ''cellular-like'' transmitters would be used to
provide video, audio and data services "beyond those already offered by
the existing cable and telephone networks.''

AsiaSat shares available
Cable & Wireless Plc is expected to report a 60 million pound profit with
its half year results in September. The company, initially holding a third
of AsiaSat, has made a public offer of 35.1 milllion shares. State
controlled company China International Trust and Investment Corporation
was to sell 70.2 million AsiaSat shares. Thus, in effect 27 percent of
AsiaSat's registered share capital will be listed. The third Asiasat
owner, Hutchison Whampoa Ltd. of Hong Kong, did not sell off any shares.
While trading in Hong Kong should commence tomorrow, so-called American
Depository shares (ADS) are listed on the New York Stock Exchange as from
today. One ADS is the equivalent of ten shares.
AsiaSat currently operates two satellites at 105.5 and 100.7°E. Two more
satellites are due to be launched in 1997 and 1999 respectively.

Feeds from Japan
The frequency 11.602 GHz v on PAS 4 (68.5°E) is now used for feeds from
Japan's NHK between 0900 and 1700 UTC. More feeds come at 2200 UTC, they
usually end between 0530 and 0600 UTC. With all transmissions, NTSC is
used. (Norbert Schlammer)

Zeroes and Ones

While Western countries are working on subtle methods to control Internet
contents, others simply use censorship. The outside world wouldn't have
noticed in this case, either. But today, the Gulf News reported about a
row between the United Arab Emirates telecommunication company Etisalat
and the Dubai police chief. Both were members of censorship board
controlling the flow of information in and out of the UAE. No longer.
Etisalat has pulled its representatives from the board, following attacks
by the police chief, Major General Dhahi. He called for stronger
censorship and Internet licenses to be issued by the "Information"
ministry and the police. Those licences are currently granted by Etisalat
which is 60 percent state-owned. So far, some 4,000 users have been
allowed on to the dangerous information super-highway. And believe it or
not, one of them recently told me via email that TELE-satellite magazine
was subject to censorship, too. Certain parts, such as fax numbers of
smart card vendors, were made unreadable.
http://www.etisalat.co.ae/
(and you should also have a look at this:
http://www.uaeu.ac.ae/about/zayed.html)

"Want to find out how the 1996 Olympians are dealing with all the energy
and commotion in Atlanta? Or how 'bout sending a message of encouragement
to your favourite athlete or team? Whatever questions or thoughts you'd
like to pass on to the athletes at the 1996 Games, you can do it with
FanMail." And athletes will, by the way, have the opportunity to create
their own Web sites there:
http://www.fanmail.olympic.ibm.com/

There is not only an official site for the Olympic Games in Atlanta, but
also one for the following Olympics in Sydney. At least that one's
guaranteed to stay for at least four years.
http://www.atlanta.olympic.org/
http://www.sydney.olympic.org/

Thanks to our contributor --
Norbert Schlammer: 100415.3560@compuserve.com