[Prev][Next][Index]

RE: US satellite

At 11:30 18.09.1997 -0700, you wrote:
>I am contacting you in the hope to get information about American TV
>networks. I just moved from the States (east cost) to Munich with my
>familly. Unfortunatly they don't speak any German and have a lot of
>problems to accutumate with the new country. So I bought lately your
>magazine "Satellit International" in the hope to find a way to receive
>via satellite some of our US main networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX ...). But
>after reading the magazine I was not able to find a responce to my wish.
>So can you help me in this matter? If it is possible, what kind of dish
>do I need, I really do not know that much in satellites? In a worse case
>can I at least receive British networks?
>Thanks for your help
>Yves TEPLIK, Munich

Dr.Dish:
Lets do it first in the cheapest way: The ASTRA satellites offer a wide
range of english language programs:

CNNI as a mix of the original CNN, CNN-Headlines and the international
version, free of charge and 24 h a day.
The british SKY_NEWS is also 24h on air and carries after midnight ABC-news
EUROSPORT carries a lot of US-sports, some events are live
NBC with a mix of US and european programs.
For this, a simple analogue installation with a 60cm dish is suitable and
easy to install.

With a turnable dish of 90 to 120cm you can pick additional US-feeds via
INTELSAT K, ORION and PanamSat on unregulary basis.

To make it really expensive, you could subscribe to ORBIT (starting with US
$ 50,- a month). This package conatins ESPN I and II, some US-Movie- and
Music channels and is directed to the Middle-East market.
You will need a 150cm dish and the expensive Scientific Atlanta receiver.
The service offerd by different european companies. If you need a adress,
please let me know.