[Prev][Next][Index]

Re:Weather-Images

At 19:11 20.09.1996 +0200, you wrote:
>Dear Mr MASS,
>
>I have browsed your web two days ago, and I subscribed to your Dr-DISH
>Mailing list. (I sometimes receive messages in German and, unfortunately, I
>don't speak german at all).
>
>Besides, I have seen a very interesting article you wrote, about "D-I-Y
>Espionage".
>
>Mr MASS, I am NOT involved in any kind of satellite business.
>I am just a guy who has two or three questions, and who has not found the
>answers on the Web yet (Neither Web, nor usenet, nor on FAQ's, nowhere...)
>
>So, would you please be so kind to tell me if you can answer to the three
>following questions ?
>
>Thank you very very much for your help !
>
>Here they are :
>
>First of all, I would like to apologize if some questions seem "dumb".
>Well... as I said, I am NOT specialized in satellites. I was just in the
>industrial computer parts import/export business for the last 13 years...
>
>In short, I'm 38, I'm not a "beginner", my interest in having answers to
>those questions is REAL, I looked all over FAQ's, postings, newsgroups, Web
>sites, etc..., but I have NOT found the answers to the following questions.
>
>That's the reason why I need your help !
>
>Thank you  *very*  *very*  *very*  much !
>

>1ø : Land and water temperature :
>
>I would like to do what follows. I know that a company in France was doing
>this, but, as far as I know, that company doesn't exists anymore, so I can't
>ask them HOW they were doing this :
>
>They received a sat feed signal that they used to display and print maps
>with the temperature of water. I have such a kind of print here in hands.
>
>This is what's mentioned on the print (translation from french) :
>
>     "Realised from a N.O.A.A. image  (IMAR laboratory, NANTES (France))"
>
>         "Surface water temperature in mediterranean sea"
>
>That's all.
>
>The picture shows southern France, Spain, north Africa and Italy in black,
>with clouds in white, and the mediterranean sea is in different colors, from
>blue where the water is cold to red where it's hot.
>
>I would like to know HOW i could do this ?
>(What satellite, what signal, what band, what feed, what LNB, what software,
>etc...)
>
>However, I would like to do this for SEA but also for LAND.
>
>Regarding to this, I know a professor from a u.k. university who was looking
>for I.R. maps of Pyrenees in order to analyse the Pyrenees flood in Spain at
>the beginning of august.
>
>His name is Mr D. A. KILHAM, Dept. of Geography, University of Bristol,
>
>                          D.A.Kilham@bristol.ac.uk
>

>He was looking for, I quote "an archive of hourly Meteosat imagery that will
>show the development of the storm over the Pyrenees on 7/8 August 1996 - The
>data needs to be calibrated IR temperatures".
>
>I called him to tell him about the map I have (from what company it was
>coming from, etc...), but I don't think he finally got what he wanted.

> [...]

Dr.Dish:
We try to answer the questions in the language as coming in.

1:
NOAA, a low orbiting weather-satellite deivers data on 137 MHz and on 1.7
GHz. For 137 MHz you can use a Discone-antenna, wx-satellite receiver with
build-in a/d-converter, PC and free/share-ware programs. Some of them are
calculating the actual temperatures on sea and land. The resolution is fine
for amateur-use.
The same is with METEOSAT. Here you get larger aereas in low resolution. A
ready to use METEOSAT-station comes from GRUNDIG, which will be tested in
TELE-satellit 11-12/96 and shown also in drdish@tv on Oct.11.

NOAA´s transmissions on 1.7 GHz are much more difficult to decode. This
HR-pictures containing all data you need. Again you will need a PC, but
further and expensive hard and software. For further information please contact:
U.Hanssen, Funksysteme GMBH, Konrad Adenauer Str. 142, D-52223
Stolberg/Germany. You can write in the english language.

2:
The temperature + plankton imahges are coming from the french SPOT
satellite. The images are sold to interested customers. This satellites is a
multi-talent, because he used as a spy-satellite and also for scientific
purposes. Please search in the net for SPOT and you will find a lot of
images and also the proper adress.

3:
The target car could be fitted with a EUTELTRAC-System. That means one will
find the target car back or trace it all the time. The hit car is not
traceable by "normal" satellites. The only way is to employ a
Euteltrac-system into the goods. In this case they could be located within a
range of 10 meters.
For Euteltracs, please contact EUTELSAT in Paris, Fax: +33-1-53983700 or via
the net: http://www.eutelsat.org

4:
I know different providers of real time data, but can´t tell your about the
quality and services, since I am not involved in this business.

5:
How to use a satellite to go into the net: first read the article in
TELE-satellite. Also you can inquire via EUTELSSAT and ORION, because both
satellite organization offer this services.
For ORION, please contact: ORION ATLANTIC, Malcolm Tallantire, Fax:
+44-171-580-8871 or e-mail: 204-1778@mcimail.com

Dr.Dish (Christian Mass)
TELE-satellite magazine
drdish@tv your satellite info-channel